[WriteLog] Keying delay problems

To: writelog@CONTESTING.COM, support@microham.com, fcg@kkn.net
Subject: [WriteLog] Keying delay problems
From: Georgek5kg@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 12:44:48 EST
We are down in J7 and using WL 10.62H with a microHam CW Keyer.  Radio
control is on comm5 and cw keying is on comm6, with comms 5 and 6 being set up
in
the microham Device Router.

We are having a problem with radio control and cw keying.  Upon  initially
booting up WL, radio control and keying is normal.  However,  after only a few
minutes, we develop a delay in the keying, such that  upon hitting a function
key, say F1, it will send a few characters but then  delay 5 seconds or so to
complete the message.   Eventually, we  lose radio control, and the function
key messages fail to work.  Also, the  INSERT and "+" keys quit working. At
times, there is a 5 or so second delay in  being able to send from the paddle.

Rebooting WL and/or the laptop may cure the problem, but then after a few
minutes the keying problem recurs.

We have tried shutting off the linear, thinking it might be an RF  problem,
but that does not cure the problem.  The station is grounded to an  earth
ground, and otherwise, there is no indication of any stray RF.

We have tried shutting off other processes running on the laptop, such as
our wireless connection, spybot, virus check, etc., but that does  not seem  to
change anything.

This problem originally started yesterday with WL 10.61E.  This  morning, I
removed 10.61E and reinstalled it.  At that point, all  was aok again, but
after about 1.5 hours of continuous operation, the keying  delay problem
resurfaced.  At that point, I installed 10.62H, but again  after a few minutes
of
operation, the problem resurfaced once again.

One thought is that there may be a buffer filling up somewhere that causes
the problem, but I would not know how to check that out.

Any ideas as to the cause of the problem will be appreciated.

73, George, K5KG / J75KG