Re: [WriteLog] WriteLog Digest, Vol 50, Issue 22

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] WriteLog Digest, Vol 50, Issue 22
From: "Charles Morrison" <cfmorris@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 19:26:32 -0600
> Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 23:10:07 -0500
> From: "ve2lx" <ve2lx@sympatico.ca>
> Subject: [WriteLog] ve2lx   CW setup infos
> To: "witelog group" <writelog@contesting.com>
>
> In setup/port/cw ptt setup
>
> there is three choice
> 1...none (eg:QSK)
> 2...command rig on com port
> 3...on lpt pin/16 comm rts
> the third one is the one I use
>
> I tries them all and they all work on cw mode...?is this normal...?
> It make no no difference at all
>
> is there someone tried that
>
> again this one was asked to WL 4 month ago.

PTT in Writelog can come from a variety of sources, depending on how you
have the program configured and what type of interface you're using.

You can receive PTT from the Rig computer interface (Pro3, Kenwood, Yaesu),
you can receive PTT from the Microphone jack if you have that hooked up, or
if you have an Icom and you've got the CW key plugged into one of the jacks,
as soon as you start sending CW and the Break-In button is turned on, the
rig will key.

The settings in CW PTT only apply if you've got one of those settings
physically connected to the computer (2 and 3).

1.= This would mean that you've got the Break-In button on the Icom turned
on.  As soon as you close the key, the rig transmits and sends cw.

2.= This setting is configured in the Ports section, where you define what
rig you have for rig control.  The Pro2 doesn't have computer controlled
ptt, but the Pro3 does.  The CI-V (Cat) control sends a computer command to
key the rig and another computer command to unkey the rig.  Works great
except when RFI eats up the TTL Level converter, then the rig wont unkey.

3.= This means that you've configured an LPT port adapter with the
resitor/transistor interface that when a voltage is exherted on the pin on
the LPT port, it switches the transistor, which in turn closes PTT.  Very
similar to RTTY ptt, settable in the RttyWrite screen and in MMTTY under PTT
Port.

So, you're getting PTT from some source already connected, just depends on
how you have rig control configured, lpt port configured and the button on
the Icom.  Unless you have an adapter plugged into the printer port, and
you're running DirectIO, you're not using the LPT ptt.

Charlie
KI5XP