Re: [WriteLog] telnet dropout problem

To: Rick Tavan N6XI <rtavan@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] telnet dropout problem
From: "Mike McCarthy, W1NR" <lists@w1nr.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 08:22:28 -0400
Rick Tavan N6XI wrote:
> Writelog is dropping my telnet connection every few minutes. I understand
> that some dropouts are inevitable and have used external interface programs
> to defend against dropout during contests. But now I can't even keep it
> connected long enough to get a couple of spots during casual operation. As
> we say in the software biz, "It used to work." Any ideas?
>
> /Rick

In most cases I have seen with Telnet drop-out, the problem is usually a
NAT router at your end or the cluster.  If the router has problems
keeping track of it's NAT translation tables, it can't figure out where
to send the packets any longer and starts dropping them.  I have seen
some Linksys and SMC routers that are particularly bad about it,
especially after they are left running for a while.

You can start by rebooting your router, taking a look at it's logs or
trying another cluster connection.  Just an FYI, my cluster at
dx.w1nr.net is a direct connection to the Internet with no NAT on my end.

Mike, W1NR