[WriteLog] WinKeyer USB keyer problems

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] WinKeyer USB keyer problems
From: "Kelly Johnson" <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:33:06 -0700
I'm using WriteLog version 10.51m which is pretty old.  Do I need a new version?

I've attempted to install the VCP driver(s) for my WinKeyer on 3 WinXP
machines now: a desktop and 2 laptops.  I can't make it work on any of
them.

On the laptop, the VCP is assigned to COM8, so I set CommSlot4=8
inside my WriteLog.ini and attempt to use COM8 for CW keying.  Every
time I start up WriteLog with this WriteLog.ini it crashes.  If I go
back to CommSlot4=4, then no problem, but of course COM4 is just a
plain 'ol serial port, not WinKey.

On one laptop, WinKeyer freezes.  Pusing the RED button does nothing.
I have to reboot WinKeyer.

On the other laptop, I have a bigger problem.  The VCP is assigned to
COM21 which is out of range for WriteLog (or at least my version of
WriteLog).  I can try reassigning VCP to a smaller COM number, but for
some reason my OS thinks all ports are "in use" up to COM20.  My guess
is that this is because I've installed other VCP's on this laptop
before.

I can't get my WinKeyer to work on any of these systems with WriteLog.  Help!!!!