Re: [WriteLog] Using MMTTY with WriteLog

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Using MMTTY with WriteLog
From: "Charles Morrison" <cfmorris@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 18:04:29 -0600
> Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 18:39:18 -0500
> From: "Rick Lindquist" <n1rl@earthlink.net>
> Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Using MMTTY with WriteLog
> To: "'Joe Subich, W4TV'" <lists@microham-usa.com>,    "'Don Hill AA5AU'"
>       <aa5au@bellsouth.net>, <writelog@contesting.com>
> Cc: jcarcia@arrl.org, 'Charles Morrison' <cfmorris@bellsouth.net>
>
> Greetings!
>
> Success at last! Hallelujah!
>
> One other thing I needed to do was make some changes to the jumpers on my
> RIGblaster Plus. The jumper pattern I wound up with is NOT one that West
> Mountain Radio suggests in the manual, so it was helpful to know that I
> wanted the PTT on RTS (already knew that keying was on TXD). Curiously,
with
> these settings I can no longer do "Sound Board FSK" with RittyRite,
although
> I might be overlooking something there.
>
> One thing that may have been leading me astray as I tried various
> configurations is that clicking the TX button on the MMTTY plug-in window
> does NOT put the transceiver into transmit as it does with the MMTTY
> standalone program. I had to hit one of the F keys to play back a stored
> message in order to trip the PTT and send data. This is something worth
> pointing out to others, I believe.

Remember what I said in that last email, once you've loaded the "MMTTY for
Writelog from SM6SRW" (this is just the "shim"), NOT to be confused with
MMTTY itself, all control for PTT and FSK relies on the settings within
RTTYRite.  That's the reason that the PTT in the MMTTY control panel no
longer works.  Think of it this way, if the PTT port setting in MMTTY would
actually be active, it would immediately conflict with the PTT port selected
in RTTYRite.  The software generated FSK corrects the problem with some USB
converters.. remember the Belkin FD103whateveritis doesn't require this..
only the ones that don't support the 5bit codes.

I too was unable to get Software FSK to work (just to test with Rick) while
using the Microkeyer.  However it's a nonissue, since directly selecting the
port has always worked just fine.  I guess probably because of the fact that
the Microkeyer is much more then a USB-Serial converter.

Charlie
KI5XP