Re: [WriteLog] Troubling info - not specifically Writelog

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Troubling info - not specifically Writelog
From: "Bill Parry" <bparry@rgv.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 09:46:52 -0500
I'm not sure now why I originally started this thread. As most of you have
already mentioned, I like Writelog and use it for every contest. It just
seems to me that we have been rocking along for a long time with no
improvements of any substantial kind except the networking.

As I think back over the last year or so of things that have popped up on
this reflector or in my mind, it seems like there are ample opportunities to
make the software better. My son is in the software business and I often
rain on him about what I think about software these days. (Not specifically
Writelog.)

I think that Number 1 is the set up complexity. It seems to me that you have
to be pretty knowledgeable about computers to set up the software in the
computer and setup for a contest. Lots of people have commented about
problems they have had in installing the software. You have to know about
comports, LPT ports, USB ports. You have to know how to install comports or
make virtual ones in some cases. Most of us can't use our computers to send
CW and so we need to buy an external keyer. It is hard to set up for a
contest that has a complex exchange (like SS) without a lot of trial an
error (at least for me).

Number 1A. (Because it is related to number 1 - Instructions. (Or lack
thereof.) I think that there needs to be an instruction manual or all
software.  Done give me these help files please! I don't mind downloading
and printing it out but there needs to be a manual of how to use the
software. Even if you have the best software, it is not very good if the
folks take months to figure it out on the internet.

A second possibility would be to make the software so transparent that you
don't need manual. None that I have seen fit this criteria.

Number 2. The reports at the end of the contest. There are a number of
reports that would be interesting. The competition seems to have made
improvements in that area.

Number 3... Some have been mentioned just recently so I won't rehash.

Bill W5VX