Re: [WriteLog] WL & IC-706 setup for Field Day

To: <lists@subich.com>, "'Writelog Reflector'" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] WL & IC-706 setup for Field Day
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 19:02:32 -0800
Thanks to the many who've responded.  I should have been a bit clearer about
my settings.  I have the radio set to 19200 baud and am using that speed in
WL, not Auto.  The USB to Serial adaptor is the same one I used for over a
year with my Dell laptop that has no serial ports.  The Rigblaster and CT-17
predate even that and that setup ran just fine until my recent acquisition
of the microHAm micro KEYER II.  The MKII has a USB connection so the USB to
Serial adaptor, Rigblaster and CT-17 were all removed from my station and
were sitting on the shelf until I decided to hook them up to the IC-706 for
Field Day.  I don't think hardware is the problem.

Today I managed to get some error messages from WL while changing settings
in the Ports area.  Suddenly WL pops up a message that says 'Com3
unavailable'.  When I click on that another one says 'Com4 unavailable'.  At
one point a WL message appeared that said,' Shared CW and rig control on the
selected com port is not possible.'  Have no idea what caused this, but now
apparently WL thinks I don't have any serial ports!

However, Windows XP does.  In the Device Manager there are two USB to Serial
comm ports, nos. 3 & 4 available.  I clicked on each of them and looked at
their properties.  They indicate 'FTDI on USB serial converter A or B' and
windows says they are trouble free.  WL apparently disagrees.

So here's the battle plan for tomorrow.

1. First delete writelog.ini from the Programs folder.  Start WL up and let
it create a new ini file.  Exit WL and edit the new ini file to include Icom
IC-706=0x4E in the [RIGS] section.  Restart WL and go to the Ports screen.
Setup COM3 as CW,  rig as Icom IC-706, baud as 19200, Poll checked and PTT
NO.  COM4 for rig control with the Icom IC-706, baud as 19200, Poll checked
and PTT NO.  Save the settings and see what happens.  If still no rig
control go to Step 2.
2. Uninstall WL from the ASUS net book.  Do a complete WL reinstall and then
perform Step 1 again.  If still no joy, Step 3.
3. Get the net book computer out of the picture and put my Dell laptop from
the station desk into the RV Field Day hookup.  Close the mircroHAM router
to dispense with its virtual serial ports.  Reconnect the USB to Serial
adapter, Rigblaster and CT-17 to the same status as before.  Start WL and
change the settings from using the WinKey to using the USB serial ports and
see what happens.  I really hate this option, but I'm running out time and
am up against the clock.

Thanks again for the help.

73,
Gary AL9A