Re: [WriteLog] Laptops and WL

To: "Ted Boerkamp" <tboerkamp@cogeco.ca>, "'Writelog List'" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Laptops and WL
From: "hank k8dd" <hank.kohl@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 20:44:14 -0400
Ted ....

I use what I call a "disposable laptop".  It is an old Dell Latitude CPi
D300XT with a 6 or 10 GB hard drive and 128 MB of memory and Windows 2000
Pro.  Picked it up at a hamfest for about $150 - probably too much, but my
good laptop died the day before Hamcation in Orlando a couple of years ago -
three days before we were going to South America.
The laptop has one serial, one parallel and one USB port.  It runs Writelog
(and a couple of those other logging programs, too) and I've recorded 48
hours of ARRL DX on it, worked RTTY with it and it keeps on working.
Personally I like the older Latitudes - they seem to hold up better than a
lot of the rest.  And I would never take a good laptop along with me out of
the country .... People try to steal the good ones!

73    Hank    K8DD