Re: [WriteLog] Single Channel USB / Serial Converter for RTTY?

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Single Channel USB / Serial Converter for RTTY?
From: Aldewey@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 22:17:52 EDT

In a message dated 10/12/2009 2:53:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
richard@karlquist.com writes:

Specifically, which apps have you tested?  60 WPM FSK RTTY?  CW keying
using handshake lines (DTR)?

Did you have any trouble getting the driver to work?  Some of these
adapters come with eleventeen drivers for a list of 101 models, none
of which is exactly the part number of what you bought, or it is not
clear which OS they are for.

What COM port numbers are possible?

Rick N6RK

Rick;

It is a SIIG CyberSerial 4S.  They seem to work great for rig control using
Writelog and Logger32.  However, when I launch MMTTY, and select one of
these ports (i.e COM 5, 6, 7, and 8), the computer immediately reboots.  It is
quite dramatic.  You are right about all the drivers.  The CD has a bunch of
drivers in the root directly (which I assume are for XP).  Then there are
folders for ME, 2000, DOS, 9X, and NT4.

I have one built in serial port that is, of course, COM1.  These show up as
COM 5, 6, 7, and 8.  I've tried installing from the CD as well as from
drivers downloaded from the site.  I rollback to the original driver.  It is
not
clear to me whether anything is changing.  It seems to load the same driver
every time.

About ready to give up and try something else.

Al, K0AD

The driver CD is confusing.  I has a whole bunch of drivers on the root.  I
assume they are for XP.  There are then different folders for 9X, ME, DOS,
2000, and NT4.