Re: [WriteLog] Simple & compact USB>Radio Control/CW/DVK/RTTY interface

To: writelog@contesting.com, John <n8rf@neo.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Simple & compact USB>Radio Control/CW/DVK/RTTY interface
From: Don Melcher <don@hfradio.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 17:37:03 -0700 (PDT)
WRONG!!! There is no way that can be possible - It has to be an
oversite/ignorance by West Mountain. The 765 is CI-V interface just like EVERY
Icom since the 735 (though the 735 control code "word" is one bit less in
length - but that has NOTHING to do with the interface - only the software).
The only differences in the radios is the CI-V address is different for each
model and the baud rate - the original standard was 1200 in the 735 but the
later radios - like the 765 - the address and the baud rate can be changed with
dip switch settings.

The ACC-1 jack is an 8 pin din and the pin-out is the same on EVERY Icom
HF radio - even their marine HF Rigs have the same pin-out. The only radios
since the 735 that doesn't have an 8 pin ACC1 (and 7 pin ACC2) jack is the 706
series, 703, 718 & 7000 (I haven't looked at the latest crop like the 7200).
Those have a 13 pin DIN jack and Icom makes an adapter that will split that
into 8 & 7 pin jacks that are EXACTLY like the rest. Even the 751/751A with a
UX14 CI-V board or equal and an adapter that Icom made for the 24PIN Molex to
an 8 & 7 pin is compatable. That is how the PW-1 will auto band change with any
CI-V Icom radio since the 735 (and the 2KL, 4KL, AT500 etc work with everything
since the 701 if the proper board inside in the case of the early rigs).

I have a 765 as well as a 706IIG, 746, 756proIII, 703, 7800, 751A, 740,
745  (no CI-V on the 740 and 745 but the same adapter for 751A gives me the 8 &
7 pin din plugs) 730 (also no CI-V but ditto on the ACC jacks), 735 plus maybe
a couple of others I have forgot about. Unfortunatley, my CI-V in the 765 is
not working at the moment (there is an Icom service bulliten about the problem
- it is a couple of transistors that go and I need to replace them - I am just
lazy and put another radio it its place until I get around to it).

NOW - What you DO need to be aware of if you use it for RTTY or PSK 31 is that
IF you have a Mic connected to the jack on the front - that mic will be hot
when you transmit in LSB (or USB) for those modes. Everybody is always shocked
at this and can't understand it - thinking that the mic is switched in by the
PTT switch. Think about it - how ELSE would VOX work?   This interface does not
have FSK keying so I think you will have to use LSB for RTTY - I don't think
AFSK works with the 765 in RTTY mode - but I may be wrong. Check your manual
(mine is 150 miles away). FOr DVK you would connect you mic to the mic in of
your computer and it will switch from the

Just go to the Icom website pull up any manual for any Icom HF Rig from the 735
on and you will see what I mean.  Compare it with your manual.That is the
beauty of Icom - an actual standard that has been essentially the same for at
25 years. As opposed to Yaesu which almost does it different on every new rig
and to a lesser extent Kenwood (some rigs are TTL while the newer radios are
RS232 and there are some minor differences in a couple of their rigs in the
functioning of the 13 PIN jack pin outs for PTT). I am a dealer for SCS
PactorII modems (as well as an Icom marine dealer) and I deal with this every
day. It is to the point that I won't support Yaesu and I hesitate with Kenwood.
But Icom - no problem as they are ALL the same except as I noted.

If you buy one and it DOESN'T work with your 765 I will buy it from you.