Re: [WriteLog] [RTTY] MMTTY and EXTFSK at 75 baud...

To: "Glenn Anderson" <wb5tuf@earthlink.net>, "'James Colville'" <jimw7ry@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] [RTTY] MMTTY and EXTFSK at 75 baud...
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 15:09:40 -0500
Glenn, et. al.,

You are correct. Using the AFSK mode of MMTTY will work just fine. The 45.45
Baud TX limitation is not within the MMTTY program itself. The limitation is
imposed IF you are using the EXTFSK driver. Some operators use EXTFSK while
many others do not. So "it depends" and this was the reason for my alert to
check your configuration before the contest.

OPINION:
Because the 45.45 Baud rate has been considered the "amateur radio standard"
(totally discounting the fact that some Model 15 Teletype operators had and
used alternate gear sets to run at 75 Baud), not much consideration was
given to providing a mechanism to change TX speeds from the "standard".

I'm kind of excited about the "EXTFSK discovery" because this forced me to
rethink my own station setup. I am looking at many options in order to get
ready for some BARTG SPRINT 75 fun next weekend.

SOLUTIONS:
Don Hill and Joe Subic worked through the steps of getting WriteLog running.
You can visit Don's new setup page here:
http://rttycontesting.com/75baudrtty/75baudrtty.html

For N1MM Logger users, MMTTY can be used in AFSK mode at higher speeds.
Also, the MMVARI and FLDIGI engines are options within N1MM Logger that you
can use.

A standalone version of MMTTY can be used in AFSK mode. It can also be used
when it is directly driving a COM port in FSK mode. The COM/FSK solution is
typically limited to older computers running Windows 98 or older.

If you have a DOS machine, the original RTTY contesting program "RTTY by
WF1B" is an option as well as the high performance "RITTY" program by K6STI.

Many of the AEA, Kantronics, MFJ, and HAL hardware decoders can RX/TX higher
speeds.

FUTURE:
"It would be nice" if the EXTFSK.DLL would be updated to provide higher FSK
TX speeds. But with all the alternate methods of generating 75 Baud RTTY, it
is not likely to be a high priority item.

One thing is for certain, getting your station ready to operate at 75 Baud
RTTY will challenge your "status quo" status!

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN