[WriteLog] Re error message "can't create OLE Automation Object.....

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] Re error message "can't create OLE Automation Object.....
From: Frank Fallon <n2ff@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 15:11:37 +0000
This has not been a good computer week here.

For the last two weeks my machine has been going downhill. Yesterday I had my
good friend here to cure the beast. It seems I picked up a trojan in the form
of Win32/Alureon.H which hid itself in an Ipsec.sys file and a backup of that
file. Thanks to Spybot Search and Destroy we were able to find and kill those
two files.
Before the fix my machine froze up while in Writelog and when I rebooted I was
unable to get the packet/telnet and bandmap features going.  Writelog sent me
the dreaded "can't create packet OLE automation object" message.

I am unable to reinstall Writelog as I have not yet received my CD in the mail
and my 100 hours download or five tries has expired.  I am assuming that
reinstalling the program is going to work as yesterday I upgraded to the latest
version, 10.87, and I had packet and bandmap working. But that was before we
found the trojan.  I believe I need to again reinstall.

Three questions:

1. Am I correct in assuming that installing Writelog on a now trojan free
machine will solve my OLE problem?

2. Is there a way to get around the problem without reinstalling?  (It's
impossible to do that until I can get access to my registered copy.)

3. Could some kind soul enlighten us as to just what an OLE Automation Object
is and or does?

Thanks for the help.

73 de Frank.....N2FF......