Re: [WriteLog] [WRITELOG] OCT QST RCS-10 Ant Switch

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] [WRITELOG] OCT QST RCS-10 Ant Switch
From: Paul Young <k1xm@k1xm.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 16:03:39 -0400
Hi Joe,

I consider parallel ports obsolete.  Computers may still
have them but good luck finding a new printer that uses
them.  Windows really wants to use them for printers and
for nothing else.

And you are correct, a USB to parallel port adapter will
not work.  The driver hack for internal parallel ports
won't work with USB adapters.

The only way I know of to get band information is to use
a device that is made for the purpose.  All the ones I
know of are designed for SO2R operation but they'll work
just fine for one radio.

The cheapest is probably an SO2RDuino, but you'll have to
build it.  This was written up in the NCJ a while ago.
You could leave out the SO2R switching relays and the CW
key and PTT switching transistors since you don't need
that stuff.

Second cheapest would be a PIEXX SO2Rxlat board.

Next is the YCCC SO2R Box.  I think Dennis, W1UE, still
has a couple kits for sale.

And microHam makes several SO2R devices.  They all have
band decoding outputs.

The more expensive devices have other features, such as
CW keyers.  None of them will operate the contest for you,
and none of them will make coffee. (I do not know of any
contest logging software that has a coffee pot interface.)

All of these put out LPT-style 0/5V signals which can be
used to drive something like the QST box.

I know others, such as PA3AOT, are working on interfaces
for antenna switching.  But the ones I listed are the
only ones that I know are available.

                  Paul, K1XM