Re: [WriteLog] Anyone have RTTY problems during Roundup?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Anyone have RTTY problems during Roundup?
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 21:06:11 -0600
Thanks Ed.  You reminded me that I also had the lockout problem where the
lockout stopped working on occasion.  I noticed that when
it happened, the network between the two PCs had stopped working and one or the
other network status boxes, minimized at the bottom
of the screen, was blinking.  Tonight, I set up the two logs and networked
them.  I went to watch some of the football game and when
I just came back, the box on the laptop was blinking.  When I check the network
status, it showed that it has initiated a reciprocal
connection and reconnected itself.  So the network is obviously dropping and I
never one time had a network problem using version
10.

I did not associate the transmit hanging up with the network or the interlock,
but it could have been associated.  I am guessing
that WriteLog is losing the network then it's reconnecting itself.  Because we
are losing the network, the lockout obviously will
not work.  I did notice that once I maximized the network status box, then
minimized it, the lockout started working again but that
may have been because the network had reconnected itself.  But what's funny
about it, is that when I thought the network was down,
stations logged on one computer immediately showed up in the log on the other
computer.  So maybe the WL network wasn't actually
down?

I had one report sent to me directly that said the receive stutter problem had
occurred with someone when they were running MMTTY
stand-alone.  I will query the MMTTY reflector to see if anyone using MMTTY
stand-alone during the contest had this problem.  I did
not experience this one.

I don't remember when the problems started for me.  I know that early Sunday
when I was having these problems, I remember changing
WriteLog from two radios to one radio with only one Rttyrite window and it
appeared to help, but then I think I had the delayed
transmit and dropped network a couple times afterward.

The problems appear to be directly related to version 11, but I used version
11.01A in CQWW RTTY making nearly 2400 Qs with
absolutely no problems whatsoever using basically the same setup.  The only
difference is that I had 2 radios tied to one computer
this time along with one radio on the other computer that was networked.

73, Don AA5AU
http://www.aa5au.com
http://www.rttycontesting.com