[WriteLog] Writelog and K3 anomalies

To: "writelog@contesting.com" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Writelog and K3 anomalies
From: "Georgens, Tom" <Tom.Georgens@netapp.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 02:37:07 +0000
This weekend in the CQWW, I noticed that the K3 was occasionally on the wrong
sideband.  There was no clear root cause, and it was annoying.

I did some testing today and have a few observations and a repeatable (at least
for  me) test.

If you set the 6 main bands for the conventional sidebands, upper for  10-20
and lower for 40-160, and then cycle the band button on the K3 through the
bands sequentially, everything is fine.

If you do the same with Writelog (Alt-F1) the sidebands get changed

If you start on 10, and go through the bands sequentially through 160.
Everything looks fine.  However, if you manually change the bands directly on
the radio, you will see that 20 meters now will be set for lower sideband.  If
you continue to cycle the bands using writelog, and wrap from 160 to 10, the
160 sideband selection with change from LSB to USB.  It seems that whenever you
move from a band with one convention for sideband to a band with the opposite
convention, the band you are coming from gets changed.

If you watch closely, when you press Alt-F1, the sideband setting on the radio
will change before the frequency changes.  This looks suspicious to me

I should add that I have two K3's for a SO2R setup with a single computer.
Both radios do the same thing

I don't know whether this is a K3 problem or a Writelog issue.  The K3's have
been in use for a couple of years, and I probably have not changed Writelog in
that timeframe (10.80F).  If this has always been a problem, I cannot believe
that I just noticed it.  The K3 firmware, now 4.48, has been changed several
times in this timeframe

Both products are settings intensive so there may be some "knob" I am missing.

Thanks for your help

73 Tom W2SC 8P5A