Re: [WriteLog] Writelog for general logging?

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Writelog for general logging?
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 20:49:23 -0500

> It loads up to LOTW just fine via Email too.

There is one major problem in using Writelog's general tracking mode
for everyday operation and then uploading to LotW directly.  WriteLog
is not alone in the problem - there are half a dozen other contest
programs with the same problem so I'm not picking on WriteLog.

A LotW upload from WriteLog uploads *all* QSOs in that log - even
those that have been uploaded previously.  Thus, if one uploads to
LotW from the General DXCC tracking log every week or every month,
one is soon uploading nearly all duplicate QSOs.  Those duplicate
QSOs (not just from WriteLog) currently represent between 60 and
75% of all uploads to Logbook of the World and were a significant
contributor to the recent backlog at LotW.

If you are going to use a contest logging program for every day
operation, please export your log to ADIF and use something like
ADIF Master to trim that file to only those QSOs made since your
last upload *before* signing the log with tQSL and uploading.
Please do not simply upload the General DXCC Tracking log with
WriteLog's built-in upload and e-mail capability.  The WriteLog LotW
support is fine for a specific contest (e.g. CQWW CW, etc.) where a
log is uploaded *one time* after the contest is over.  However, the
General DXCC tracking "contest" is never over - unless you start a
new log each week/month and only upload at the end of that period.

The alternative to using something like ADIF Master is to use one of
the "everyday" logging programs - DXLab Suite (DXKeeper), DX4Win,
Logger32, etc. - to import the ADIF and generate the upload since
they keep track of the QSOs uploaded to LotW and only upload QSOs
that are new since the last upload.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV