Re: [WriteLog] Writelog for general logging?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Writelog for general logging?
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 20:02:51 -0900
There is a problem with using the both the DXpedition mode and General DXCC tracking log keeper and exporting to LOTW from these modules. Whenever you do a File/Export/Trusted QSL file... you are exporting the ENTIRE log to LOTW, not just the latest QSOs. Unlike a true general logger, WriteLog's various modules lack the ability to select just some QSOs in the log by specifying a range of dates to be included in the upload. This is not a problem for uploading a contest log as you do want to upload the entire record. But...

If your log is small this is not a big problem. However, if your log contains thousands of QSOs you are needlessly uploading thousands of duplicate transactions to LOTW with each update. This is an enormous waste of LOTW computer resources and needlessly causes delays for the entire LOTW community. A far better approach would be to find a good general purpose logger, either a freebee from the internet, or a low cost product that offers the features necessary to control which of your log records are going to be uploaded to LOTW. The DXLabs suite at http://www.dxlabsuite.com/ comes to mind as it is a powerful package that is free for the asking.

If you have need of a general logger and want to use one of the WriteLog modules fine. Just be a considerate amateur and don't utilize the LOTW upload directly from these modules. Instead find another way to create a tq8 file that contains only the few new QSOs that you need to upload.

73,
Gary AL9A

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andre VanWyk" <kr5dx@yahoo.com>