[WriteLog] FW: WriteLog and FT-2000

To: <WriteLog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] FW: WriteLog and FT-2000
From: "ALAN ZACK" <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 11:44:22 -0700
Thanks to all who offered suggestions. As far as the rig control using a
direct USB to RS232 cable (no RIGblaster connected anywhere) I now have that
working. I should have fallen back to first check the obvious right away.
The problem was with the four USB to RS232 cables that West Mountain Radio
sold me with the RIGblaster. They look good high quality and the driver
installed OK. My computers Device Managers show the drivers installed OK and
the connection working normally but they do not work. I tried all 4 cables
on a desktop PC and also a laptop both with WriteLog and N1MM logging
programs installed. Neither the PC nor laptop saw the FT-2000 connected. My
next step should have been to check continuity of these 4 cables but they
are not straight thru cables. There is the USB to RS232 converter circuit.
After hours of frustration switching cables from laptop to PC and back again
I took a break and remembered purchasing a similar cable at a convention
some time ago. Digging thru my box of various cables I found it. Lo and
behold when using another USB to RS232 cable the freq readings to/from the
FT-2000 to both the PC and laptop work FB on both WriteLog and N1MM. I shot
an email to West Mountain Radio asking if anyone else had problems with
their USB to RS232 cables but they replied it must be my FT-2000. But why
would it work OK using another USB to RS232 cable on two different computers
and not with their cable?

I will be in Visalia for the Intl DX Convention this weekend and will be
purchasing another couple of USB to RS232 cables. I will also be looking at
something to use besides the RIGblaster for my RTTY, PSK, etc. I am looking
at the Tigertronics Signalink as a possibility. I am fully open to any
suggestions for interfaces to a FT-2000 for RTTY, PSK, etc.

73, Alan, K7ACZ