Re: [WriteLog] Migrating WL 11.x from XP to Win7 Pro?

To: WriteLog <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Migrating WL 11.x from XP to Win7 Pro?
From: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 10:28:13 -0700
On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 12:20 AM, Gary AL9A wrote:

> I don't know about any particular 'gotchas' under Win7, but be aware that
> unlike many other programs WL is designed to be installed under C:\Program
> Files.  This installation will simplify future WL updates, as well as
> automated updates of the cty files and updating of .DAT files in the
> C:\ProgramData\WriteLog folder.  Trying to fool Win7 by installing WL under
> the root directory will surely lead to problems down the road.

Gary, while this may have been your experience, it wasn't mine.  I
have never installed WriteLog in the Program Files directory.  Wayne
made changes in the later versions of 10.x to move the WriteLog data
out of the WriteLog directory hierarchy, and into a neutral location
on Windows Vista/7/8 systems (C:\ProgramData\WriteLog).  This is
independent of where you actually install WriteLog, and is not subject
to the UAC protections applied to the Program Files directory
hierarchy.

When I migrated from XP to Windows 7 some years ago, I did a clean
install of Windows 7 (not an upgrade), and a clean install of
WriteLog.

73 - Jim AD1C

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us