[WriteLog] Sequence numbers for SO2R

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] Sequence numbers for SO2R
From: Gordon Bousman <nw7d.ham@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 16:56:42 -0800
I'm a newbie to SO2R using Writelog (but have used Writelog for many years
previously as SO1R so very familiar with the program). I have noticed in
two recent RTTY contests running SO2R that the sequence numbers don't
remain sequential if you happen to highlight a call-sign which puts it into
the logging entry window -  but don't log that particular call-sign for
some reason (such as a Run station is swamped with S&P folks calling and I
decide to just move on).  If I forget to delete the call-sign in the
logging window (for either radio), then the sequence number jumps to the
next higher number - which in turn messes up contests where one is sending
Serial Numbers.  In other words, my sent s/n's will not be sequential
because of this problem.

My initial impression was that Writelog would not advance the sequence
number if a call-sign was not logged as a worked QSO but in reality this is
not the case - it will advance the sequence number if you plug a call-sign
into the logging window (but don't complete a QSO) and when I overwrite the
non-worked call-sign with a subsequent Call-Sign (that I do log as a QSO).
  Of course the program scores the worked QSO's correctly, it's just that
serial numbers can become non-sequential.

Am I doing something wrong with my operating procedure or is this just an
inherent problem with Writelog where one has to remember to manually erase
any non-worked call-signs from the entry window?

Thanks,
Gordon NW7D