Re: [WriteLog] WriteLog & Microkeyer II

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>, writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] WriteLog & Microkeyer II
From: Joe Wilkowski <k8fc@k8fc.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 20:48:28 -0500
I should have been a bit more specific. Yes, there are two sound cards. This whole thing worked fine BEFORE I went to WL 11.18. The two sound cards are microHam and the embedded Realtek sound card. In the Window 7 control panel "Sound" item , the default system playback is Realtek High Definition Speakers and the Recording tab has Realtek High Definition Stereo Mix as the default device. The microHAM Headset Microphone = Currently Unavailable and the microHAM Line = READY. No default windows devices are microHAM according to the control panel. Yet, I still get the same results.

I only was describing the things I attempted. You don't know unless you try something different.

So the situation is as I have described. The machine has it's own soundboard as the default Windows sound devices for recording and playback and WriteLog has the microHAM codecs.

I still get the same messages as I described below in my original post.

""There is some Writelog glue that is not apparent.  When I open Writelog
with NO codecs selected in the Writelog.INI file I do NOT get the error
message
"Error setting up device names for sound, Vista-Style" which is right,
there are none selected.  BUT in all cases , including when I have
codecs selected,  after the program starts  I get another error message
saying "Cant open sound card (3)"  This indicates to me that Writelog is
still trying to open a sound card that is in a different position ""

Joe K8FC

3. Eliminated all other Audio Codecs in the system . The MicroHAM
Codec is the only audio device available to any application. Same
result.

*You can't do this!*  Windows *must* have a default device for system
input and system output.  Windows *will not* allow any application to
change any setting of the input device or output device and will not
allow any application to use any other input or any other output on
that card.

If you have *only* "microHAM CODEC" in the system, Windows will take
"headset microphone (microHAM CODEC)" as the system recording device
and "headset earphone (microHAM CODEC)" as the system output device
(Windows noises, streaming audio, etc.).  WriteLog *will not* be able
to select "headset microphone (microHAM CODEC)" for recording DVK
messages and "Line (microHAM CODEC)" for digital decoding/recording
of the contest.  When WriteLog can not select inputs it *will*
throw up the "Error setting up device names for sound, Vista-Style"
error message.

*THIS WILL HAPPEN WITH ANY WINDOWS VISTA/7/8 SYSTEM*  IF WINDOWS IS
"LOCKING" THE INPUTS, YOU WILL RECEIVE THE ERROR MESSAGE.  A word
to the wise: *USE TWO SOUND CARDS* - let Windows control the one
your are *not* using for the radio.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV