Re: [WriteLog] Win 8 USB Sound Cards

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Win 8 USB Sound Cards
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 17:29:51 -0500

I've read on the K9JY website that Win 8 will not allow the use of
both mic and line-in on the same sound card,

That's not quite 100% correct ...

The key to Windows 8 (and Windows 7 or Vista) sound card handling
is that Windows will not allow two inputs on a single sound card
*to be active at the same time* nor will it allow two *outputs*
on a single sound card *to be active at the same time*.  This means
that you can not use a single sound card in any Vista/7/8 systems
with any of the amateur contest programs and get full function:
implies two things:

1) Windows will "grab" the microphone input or any single sound
   card system as the default "system input device" and hold it so
   the logging program can not switch to the line input on that card
   for digital mode decoding or recording QSOs.
2) Windows will also send all "system" sounds (error beeps, audio
   streaming, etc.) to the "speakers" on the default system output
   device.  If you have a single sound card, that output will be
   connected to your transceiver and any streaming audio, e-mail
   alerts, DX Spotting alerts, etc. you might be using will all go
   straight out on the air along with your DVK messages or AFSK/PSK
   audio.

Just as in the days of Windows 98 and XP, you want a "three port"
(mic in, line in, Line Out) sound card *and* one that can operate
along side the built-in sound card in your computer.  That way
your amateur software can use the second sound card free from any
interference from Windows and you can keep "windows noises" separate
from audio going to the transceiver.

*** Commercial follows ***
The sound card in microHAM microKEYER II is a three port sound card
and will work with all of the major amateur contesting software for
both voice and digital modes. MK II also provides automatic switching
between microphone and sound card for seamless voice operation.
*** End of Commercial ***

Most sound cards that follow the USB Audio Class standard will work
in conjunction with another (built-in) sound card.  I actually keep
an old SoundBlaster "Digital Music" USB sound card because it works as
a three port device and is recognized by the default USB Audio Class
drivers in Windows 7/8 (no need for special drivers) for testing with
older interfaces.  However, here are some inexpensive (< $50) current
USB devices that are also known to work properly:

   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829126101
   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829131001
   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829111005
   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829128010

Among more expensive cards (~ $100) the "SoundBlaster X-Fi HD" 24-bit
96 KHz USB Sound Card *may* work (I have no direct experience with its
drivers - but it has the necessary I/O).  However, the first and last
of the New Egg items have been tested/used by microHAM users with older
(no internal sound card) interfaces who confirm they work properly.  I
have no affiliation with New Egg - other than as a customer.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV