[WriteLog] NAQP RTTY prefill file

To: "WriteLog Reflector" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] NAQP RTTY prefill file
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 20:44:45 -0900
This next Saturday is the NAQP RTTY contest. I've been working most of the day to prepare a prefill exchange file for this one, but it ain't been easy. Main problem is the lack of available historical data for the RTTY event. I have previously created a combination history prefill exchange file for the NAQP CW and SSB contests based on contest history files at the Arizona Outlaws website. However, they don't offer a history file for the RTTY event.

I've discovered that I can get the RTTY results history at ncjweb.com, but these are not data files, just score listings from the magazine results articles. With a lot of copy and pasting I was able to get three years worth of RTTY contest history into an Excel spreadsheet. Once there I again had to do a lot of manipulation to make a workable prefill file from the hodgepodge of data input. After eliminating dupes I was left with only 1,323 records of various call signs over the 2011 - 2013 time frame. This didn't seem likely to produce a lot of hits so I decided to append this data to my previous NAQP CW and SSB prefill file. That file contains 3,832 calls. When appended together the file grew to 5,155 calls, but eliminating dupes reduced that to 4,456.

So the new NAQP history file is now a conglomeration of CW, RTTY and SSB contests. There is one small problem regarding the data obtained from the NCJ web site. Their contest results articles only contain the CALL and the QTH, but not the NAME. So in the large data file most, but not all, calls will have a NAME and a QTH. Some calls will only have the QTH info and you will have to enter the NAME from the exchange over the air. If you see one of these without a NAME pop up you will know if came from the NCJ web data.

One final point. The file contains 4,456 records, but WL only loads 4,449 of them. Apparently there a 7 records that have some defect WL doesn't like so it rejects them. Unfortunately I have no clue as to which records these are or what the problem with them may be. I figure this is a very minor problem and not worth the effort it would take for me to figure out the issue.

The link to download this file is here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jb372f8odbzn2qe/NAQP%20CW-RTTY-SSB%20History%20File.adi

A PDF helper file with instructions on how to configure WL to use a prefill file is here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mckz6zbuklff0up/WriteLog%20Prefill%20Exchange%20file%20loading%20instructions.pdf

73,
Gary AL9A