[WriteLog] The day has come...... (Win 8)

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] The day has come...... (Win 8)
From: "Ray Day" <rayday@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 12:10:28 -0700
.when I MUST upgrade computers to move from Win XP to Win 8.1 since Win XP
will no longer be supported and a fella I know in the tech biz says that
after a month or two after MS stops supporting Win XP with Security Patches,
it'd be very bad to connect to the internet with XPO.

So, from what I gather from this and other forums, installing ham programs
should be done NOT in Windows' default directory, but in a separate
directory, such as C:\HAM\. Then run as administrator and possibly in
'compatibility mode."

Can someone send me to an article/post/whatever that gives a good
description of the "new" install process? I have many programs that I think
I'll have trouble with in just doing what MS says to do (MMTTY, Writelog,
N3FJP's General Log (ACL), Digipan, etc.). Or am I overly worried?

Thanks in advance,

Ray N6HE