Re: [WriteLog] Enter sends exch/QRZ?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Enter sends exch/QRZ?
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 11:47:02 -0800
Jim,

Don't get hung up on the semantics of "qrz message". That merely means send whatever message you have stored in a specific F key memory location to follow your receipt of his exchange. That message is rarely, if ever, "QRZ?". Usually the "qrz message" will be "EE", "TU", or "TU AL9A". If I'm working a big pile up, EU for example, most in the pileup will already have my call, either from listening or from a skimmer spot on the cluster. In those cases I will usually just send a "TU" after working three or four calls and then send "TU AL9A". This saves time, both mine and the other stations in the pile who already have my call, by not sending my call too frequently.

The point of the "qrz message" is two fold. First it tells the station just worked that I've got his information and have logged him. Second, it tells others who may be waiting on frequency that I am now done working that station and am ready to take another call. If no one else is on frequency and I am not called by another station, I just hit the Enter key again and WL starts sending my normal CQ message. At no time in my "qrz message" do I send "QRZ" or "CQ".

73,
Gary AL9A

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Brown