Re: [WriteLog] WL and SS

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] WL and SS
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 11:27:19 -0900
Eric,

Please see my comments below >

73,
Gary AL9A

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Rosenberg
Sent: November 17, 2014 5:55 AM
To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] WL and SS

I used the latest WL this weekend. The frequency jumping issue with my
Orion is gone (thanks, Wayne!), but I ran into a few unrelated issues, most
likely operator error, that I couldn't figure out. I've been off the air
since the ARRL DX contest in February, and am just catching up.

I couldn't change the sequence when entering an exchange after clicking on
a spot. When I tabbed, it went from Call to #, then P, then call (again),
then ck and section. Why wouldn't it skip over the call, which was already
there?

>This action is intentional by design.  It follows the expected sequence
>of an exchange.  The cursor doesn't skip over the CALL field because
>it may be wrong.  Just because the call was spotted in the Band Map
>doesn't mean it is correct.  If the station gives you a call that is
>different than the one spotted you will need to correct it and your
>cursor is already in the correct field.  If it is correct just hit Space and
>leave it unchanged.  BTW, you should be using Space to change
>fields all the time, not Tab.

When I tuned off frequency with a call in the entry field, having NOT made
the Q, shouldn't the field be wiped clear?

>You can make WL clear the CALL field by use of a writelog.ini command.
>In the [Entry] section add AutoClearOnTuneMinHz=100.  The number
>after the = sign determines how far off frequency you must tune to
>clear the CALL field.

Can I vary the span of the band map so I can see the entire band (or not,
if it's crowded)?

>Yes you can change the Band Map vertical scale.  According to the WL
>Help manual add the following command to the [BandMap] section.
>PixelsPerKhz=15.  This is the default and I've never tried changing it,
>so some experimentation may be required.  I have discovered that if
>you have a second, larger monitor the Band Map can be moved onto
>the larger screen and by clicking and dragging the upper or lower edge
>of the map you can increase its size to display more frequency range.
>Double clicking of calls in the other monitor will still populate the'
>CALL field, but you will have to move your mouse further to get it
>back to the Entry window.

Finally, the band map when following the radio, not adding spots, was quite
sluggish, lagging behind.Is that a result of having the polling interval to
the radio too fast?

>Again, according to the Help manual, “WriteLog's ability to follow your radio
> as it tunes depends strongly on what kind of radio you have. Some
>computer-controlled radios can be queried very quickly, but others respond
>very slowly as you tune the dial. This behavior cannot be controlled by
>WriteLog. Some radios will themselves slow down as they are polled,
>so WriteLog includes a configuration option to allow you to slow
>WriteLog's polling down if you notice it is slowing down your radio.
>See the RigPollInterval in the Configuration section of WRITELOG.INI.”
>
>RigPollInterval=60
>The RigPollInterval is in milliseconds. WriteLog uses 500 msec by default.

Other than my pilot errors, qll was well. Again, Thanks to Wayne for fixing
the Orion frequency jumping issue early this year.

73, Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC

rig: Orion 565 and MicroHam MK2