Re: [WriteLog] CQWW Multi-Single with One Chair

To: Alan Maenchen <ad6e@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] CQWW Multi-Single with One Chair
From: "Dean St. Hill" <dmsthill@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 18:25:07 -0400
OK I understand what you're saying however I would have to say that as a
fairly experienced SO2R op, a typical SO2R op is doing RUN on one station
and mults or extra Q's on the second radio to keep a rate up.

Most of the SO categories in contests have turned into RATE events. That is
the winners are basically racking up 8K plus QSO's in a week-end. The mults
basically take care of themselves - once you have a good signal and good
antenna coverage (stacked antennas to cover a wide range of incident
angles). Of course you also have to catch as many openings as possible.

As an example - I typically score higher as a SO - single or 2 radios
unassisted than I do Assisted because when I am running assisted I tend to
chase mults - many of which will find and work me anyway once i have a
clear frequency and good signal.

Serious M/S or M/2 stations are not necessarily changing bands 6 or 8 times
an hour because the rules allow them to. They are trying to keep a rate up
with the RUN station or with both RUN stations. Additionally the reason a
SO2R enterred as a M/S wouldn't be very competitive is because most M/S or
M/2 or even M/M are using 2 rigs per band in use with as many as four ops -
with all the necessary lock-outs to keep everything legal.

To me, SO2R gives a single operator everything he or she needs to succeed
and maximis a score as a single operator. I can't really see the benefit of
trying to go M/S unless (as I have done in some contests) I want to have
the benefit of spots and there is no "SO-assisted" category.

Have fun and as you said it's a hobby and once we're having fun that's the
iportant thing.

best regards and 73

Dean - 8P6SH