Re: [WriteLog] GRITTY working with WL?

To: "'Gary AL9A'" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] GRITTY working with WL?
From: "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 08:07:49 -0700
What IF bandwidth selections are available in RTTY/FSK mode on your radio,
Gary?  The K3 allows any bandwidth, continuously variable up to 3 kHz.  The
issue is not AFSK vs. FSK (which is just the transmission method) but rather
the receiver IF bandwidth.

It could be that it requires a 3 kHz bandwidth since it is a component for
RTTY Skimmer.  If so, I'm not sure how useful it will be for a RTTY
contesting decoder.  It is unlikely I would run GRITTY alone and I need a
500 Hz IF bandwidth for my other decoders.

The N1MM Logger Plus team has interfaced GRITTY and it should be out in a
future release.  I guess we'll hear from them as to its merits.  I don't
think much can be evaluated until GRITTY can run side-by-side with MMTTY and
2Tone over many hours of contesting.

Even when 2Tone was initially available with WriteLog, my first impression
was that it was "superior" to MMTTY.  But, now after hundreds of intense
contesting hours, running MMTTY, 2Tone and the DXP38 in parallel on the same
signal, I'm convinced that each decoder has its superior moments when the
other decoders don't print anything useful.  There are certain conditions
where one decoder works and the others don't.  If you only experience that
certain condition, it is easy to infer that the decoder is superior in all
conditions.

Ed W0YK