Re: [WriteLog] Several annoying problems from ARRL SS CW

To: "WriteLog" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Several annoying problems from ARRL SS CW
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 18:44:57 -0900
Jim,

See my comments below.

73,
Gary AL9A

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Reisert AD1C
Sent: November 09, 2015 4:15 PM
To: WriteLog

I ran into several annoying problems in Write Log 11.30 this weekend
for Sweepstakes.

1.  The NR and CK fields allowed me to type ATN and it converted them
to numbers. The only time I typed letters into this field was when I
was accidentally in the wrong field. I'm sure I screwed up some
exchanges because of this.  How do I disable this "feature"?

From the Help manual, Editing QSO Exchange Fields -
Number
Activating this button indicates that this field is all numeric, and WriteLog
will not allow any non-numeric characters to be entered. For convenience
in CW operations, certain letters will be converted to digits when attempting to enter them in a NUMBER field: "n" is converted to "9", "o" to "0", "a" to "1",
and "t" to "0".

So this "convenience" is a built in feature, but only for CW. Apparently there is no way to toggle this off via a ini file command. I presume this is to help in decoding cut numbers sent as part of the NR or CK exchanges. Just type in
the cut "number" and the alpha character gets converted to numeric.

2.  Using the microKEYER,  sometimes I would send "Hi Joe" with my
paddles before pressing the insert key to send the exchange.  It took
several SECONDS for the exchange to start. What's up with that?  Note
I was operating in full-QSK mode, but I can't see that making a
difference.

Also have a microKEYER, but never have this problem as I don't use
the paddles in a contest.  Not good enough to send at higher speeds.
Instead I use Alt+K and type in a message from the keyboard.

3.  The Packet Spots window was useless.  Follow me (by band) did not
work, it still showed all bands.  It also showed tons of DX stations.
I know that SS is a "one band" contest and that only USA/VE and some
US territories count.  "Mult only" did not work, but I realize that
Write Log can't guess the multiplier from the call (but could in
certain exceptional cases like VO1 or KP4).  I ended up just watching
the band map and the telnet window and hoped I caught what I was
looking for.

Agree the Follow Me command doesn't work correctly.  It hasn't for
years, not just with 11.30.  What are you using for a connection to
a DX cluster?  I use VE7CC's CC User program.  I can set filters to
only pass certain DX countries - K, KL, KP2, KP4, KH6, VE and no
others.  Can also limit spots to only CW or SSB depending on
which SS weekend it is.  Also can set up alarms for needed
states when trying to get the last few for a sweep.  The alarms
are limited to states, not sections, but can be helpful in finding
NE, ND, VT, ME, or some of the Maritime provinces.

73 - Jim AD1C

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us