[WriteLog] WriteLog 12 SDR support

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [WriteLog] WriteLog 12 SDR support
From: "Wayne, W5XD" <w5xd@writelog.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 07:23:25 -0800
> be installed as a Windows recording device. I have a QS1R so I guess that one
> is out.

The SDR hardware that WriteLog V12 has been tested with, so far, are
    funcubedongle (http://funcubedongle.com)
    SoftRock Ensemble RX
(http://fivedash.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=8&zenid=91abc70e77fb928899c13bd46c5459f2)

For WriteLog to display an SDR spectrum from a given SDR, it needs these
two things:
a) the time domain IQ stream.  WL currently gets the IQ data via the
Windows Sound API, or, in the case of the FlexRadio devices, via
WriteLog's rig driver for that particular radio. If "time domain IQ
steam" sounds mysterious to you, think of it as digitized audio,
required to be in two-channel stereo and you'll have pretty close to the
right mental picture.
b) enough information from the SDR to calculate the SDR's center
frequency. WL currently gets the center frequency one of three ways: (a)
its fixed--you type it into WL's SDR setup wizard or (b) the ExtDLL
interface used by http://hdsdr.de and others or (c) a WriteLog rig
driver--currently only the FlexRadio driver. If "calculate center
frequency" sounds mysterious, think of an SDR as being a "mixer" in the
sense of a superheterodyne receiver (that device you likely had to know
something about to pass an amateur licensing exam; it has two inputs: a
local oscillator and a signal of interest.) WriteLog has to know the
frequency of the oscillator input to the mixer.

For most SDR applications, by the way, the software needs to know a
couple of other things that are not on WriteLog's list, e.g. the actual
frequency of the signal of interest, and its modulation mode. WriteLog
doesn't need those (currently) because it presents only the spectrum on
its bandmap.

We are willing to entertain requests to support other devices that have
other interfaces. A quick read of the QS1R website shows the statement
"we write our own software" which might imply, but does not necessarily
mean, they have no open interfaces to (a) and (b) above.My quick browse
did not turn up any API documentation on that website.

Wayne