Re: [WriteLog] Security warning for any downloaded software

To: Writelog Forum <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Security warning for any downloaded software
From: Wayne <support@writelog.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 19:17:18 +0000
Those of you that have upgraded to WL12.10 should have noticed a change
in the way Microsoft describes the WriteLog installer. If you didn't
notice anything different, then you are not paying attention to the
security warnings built into Windows. Ignoring them means its only a
matter of time before you download and install viruses or other hacks.
(To be fair, even if you DO pay attention, hackers are smart and its
still only a matter of time, but paying attention should make that time
much, much longer.)

Here is a page that describes what those new security messages mean:

http://writelog.com/code-signing-certificate

The short story is that we are providing an additional line
of defense against hackers hijacking writelog installs for their own
purposes. But checking the signatures, either the original way or this new
way, STILL REMAINS YOUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY. If you fail to check the
signatures, you are making it far, far easier for hackers to infiltrate
your machines.

Wayne

I repeat the link to the gpg4win tutorial, which remains a
line of defense.