[WriteLog] Windows 10 update issues fix

To: <writeLog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Windows 10 update issues fix
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 18:24:29 -0600
After a Windows 10 update today, I had some issues with WriteLog when
setting up for the ARRL RTTY Roundup. I don't remember what all the issues
were but one was that some of my keyboard shortcuts wouldn't work. Also, my
bookmarks bar was missing in the Chrome browser. When I downloaded the new
Supercheck Partial file, it didn't download into my Downloads folder. I
found it in the Downloads folder of the Administrator's account and not the
account I was working in. I always work from a non-administrator's account.

I decided to do a FULL shutdown of the PC. This fixed all the issues.
Apparently something got hosed during or after the Windows 10 update today.

Years ago I created a special "full" shutdown icon on my desktop for Windows
8 and it works for Windows 10 as well. To create this icon, right-click on
the desktop and go to New > Shortcut. When the Create Shortcut dialog box
opens, type the following into the dialog box:

C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0

Then click "Next". You can leave the shortcut named "shutdown.exe" or you
can rename it something like "Full Shutdown". Click "Finish" and the
shortcut will then appear on your desktop. Now all I need to do is remember
to always do a full shutdown after a Windows 10 update.

I'm guessing those operating from an Administrator's account may not have
this problem but you never know. Just a hint to those that might have
similar issues.

Don AA5AU