FT-990 noise floor

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: FT-990 noise floor
From: david_kalokitis@maca.sarnoff.com (David Kalokitis)
Date: 11 Jun 1996 08:30:42 U
        Reply to:   RE>>FT-990 noise floor

Joe, I also have an older 990.  There is no DC connector.  Can you tell me who
you contacted to receive the update bulletins and parts?
Thanks
Dave Kalokitis  KF2UF

--------------------------------------
To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Date: 6/11/96 12:49 AM
To: David Kalokitis
From: Joe Pontek, K8JP
Kok,
My FT990 is apparently the same vintage as yours. I bought it used and it
had no DC connector.  I contacted Yaesu and got all the bulletins regarding
upgrades and modifications, including some diode changes.  I ordered the
needed parts and up grade the unit. The ROM has to be upgraded by Yaesu, but
they will do it free. You need only send that card in, not the whole radio.
My service manuals and bulletins are in Indiana, so I don't have them here
for more accurate information.

>I wonder if Yaesu has changed something.  I have a low-serial number
>FT-990, purchased a few years ago, and the audio on that thing is also
>very hissy.  This is the older AC-model that did not have a 12-volt
>connector; also came with the ROM that took forever to upload data
>(thankfully, I don't use that feature).
>
>Narrowing down the switched capacitor filter helps quite a bit on CW.
>I found that is the only way I could tolerate that rig when digging
>out the weak ones on CW.
I have the 250 Hz filter and still need to use the digital filter from time
to time, but because of air noise, not the radio's noise. I have dug out
signals that were not perceptible with out the digital filter.
>Next to my Omni-VI, the FT-990 sounds _really_ noisy (guess which rig
>I use more of now).  But the FT-990 is a nice no-fuss rig.  No need
>to touch up the band-pass tuning when you switch between CW and RTTY,
>as you do with the Omni.

I wouldn't trade my FT990 for anything, except, maybe, an FT1000D, maybe....

73, K8Joe"Palooka"

K8JP, K8JP/VA2, VP5/K8JP, VP5JP, ex-K8HKM
palooka@pyrotechnics.com

snail mail:
Joe Pontek, K8JP
P. O. Box 59573