FT-990 noise floor

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: FT-990 noise floor
From: heyer@nortel.ca (friedemann (f.) heyer)
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 07:44:00 -0400
Hi everybody,

Some remarks to the relatively high audio noise (in my opionon)

- The rig is a new one with DC-connector (bought in Dec. 95, high serial nr.)

- The FT990 had been tested in the "Beam"-magazine (in Germany) and
  they measured a noise floor at approx. -128 dBm which is not too low
  (or too good) compared to ICOM 765 or equiv.

  I heard equal opinions on the band also.

- What I mean is, if you short-cut the antenna input (no noise can come out of
  the shack any longer) and turn the AF-gain at approx. 9 o'clock
  the noice produced is simply too high (in my opinion)
  It comes out of the IF-stages. (If you make it more insensitive by turning
  the RF-gain to the right -> that's the way it's realized) and then the turn
  the AF-gain to a higher loudness, you won't hear anything because the
  audio amplifier is quite good. So it's not the AF-stages. (And it really has
  nothing to do if I have a bad antenna connection (in that case), Hi,Hi)

  So maybe there are ground loop problems (as Walt K8CV mentionend)
  or bias currents, internal shield problems or whatever

- Anyway I like the rig very much and would be pleased to get an address of
  YAESU where to put the questions because on calm bands it's really a pitty

73, Friedemann Heyer still DG9GM

EMAIL: friedemann.heyer@bnr.ca