[Yaesu] FT-1000D Intermod

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-1000D Intermod
From: james119@iu.net (James M.)
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 17:34:18 -0800
Well after playing with my FT-1000 a bit, I notice the same thing
happening.   This intermod is apparently happening in the IF Unit, not
in the front end.  I can eliminate this intermod by cranking back the RF
Gain control, which increases AGC voltage to the IF Unit.  There is no
AGC routed to the front end stages (as far as I can tell) so it would
seem to me that this intermod is in a later IF stage.  My guess is that
there is a stage in the IF Unit somewhere running close to saturation
and if the AGC isn't keeping it below that point reliably, then you get
that intermod.  Especially on narrow bandwidths, where the AGC is a
function of the tuned signal, which could be weaker than a stronger
signal right on the edge of the filter passband.  This is my theory
anyway. Can't say what a fix would be.  Sounds like a design flaw.,  The
QST review article also mentioned this effect several years ago, but
apparently Yaesu hasn't fixed it.  Happy camper?

Jim N4BE