[Yaesu] FT-1000D Intermod

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-1000D Intermod
From: sellington@ssec.wisc.edu (sellington)
Date: 4 Nov 1996 09:37:52 -0500
My FT-1000D seems to hear  CW intermodulation products whenever
a band is full of moderately strong signals.  Yet the measured third-order
intercept is normal (and very high).  Also, inserting attenuation ahead
of the receiver doesn't seem to help eliminate the intermod.  Another
receiver connected to the same antenna, cables, etc. is clean, so the
problem is definitely within the FT-1000D itself.  The problem is not
cause by any extremely strong local signals.  The FT-1000D is a later
production unit, so it should already have the PIN diode modification.

Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior?  I'm at a loss to even find
an explanation of how a receiver can have such a high third-order intecept,
and still generate intermod products in the presence of only moderately
strong signals.

73,

Scott  K9MA
sellington@ssec.wisc.edu