[Yaesu] FT-1000MP back from YAESU

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-1000MP back from YAESU
From: Dj6rx@aol.com (Dj6rx@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 12:04:47 -0500

 160m-Transnitting Spurious
 --------------------------
 Three FT-1000MP were sent back to Yaesu-Germany because of the transmit
 ting spurious problem, reported earlier.
 All these 3 radios showed poor spurious attenuation while beeing used in
 the 1820..1826 frequency range. Local stations 20 miles away detected the
 spurious while transmitting barfoot.

 Yaesu now claimes they have realigned the unit and improved the spurious
 signal attenuation by additional 10dB. Mine came out with -67dB, the other
 rig -66dB and the third unit is supposed to be at the -70dB level.
 You know the signal strength of your neighbor. Subtract 60..70 dB and you
 have the strength of his spurious when using the FT-1000MP. I hope very
 much not to get any more  spurious signal reports from outside Germany
 as long as I still use the 1000MP.

 We were also told, there is no way to further lower the spurious output.
 If these numbers are true, there should not be left much of a problem.
 Who knows what other spurious will pop up now after the units were
 optimized for 160m use?

 Erratic Clarifier Problem
 -------------------------
 My radio showed a very erratic behaviour. While trying to spot a caller
 the frequency and the display jumped all over the place. This problem
 was reported by others also.

 Yaesu did replace a little (cheap looking) thing, what they called an
 encoder. It looks much like a very cheaply made potentiometer with no
 stops. It is the thing you use when turning the clarifier knob. I do not
 think it is a real optical encoder. They obviously have replaced the more
 expensive optical encoder by some cheap potentiometer and a tricky but
 less expensive electronic.

 Well, they replaced it and so far it does work as one expects a clarifier
 to work.

 I do not trust the 1000MP anymore and will replace it somehow. I probably
 return to some radio which still has a real S-Meter with a pointer and
 scales. This is what a radio should have anyway.

 73 / Klaus (DJ6RX)

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/yaesufaq.html
Problems:                 ke7gh@contesting.com