[Yaesu] FT990 audio

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT990 audio
From: blckhole@ripco.com (Keith Morehouse - W9RM)
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 13:50:18 -0600
Over the weekend, I did some comparison testing between my FT1000D and
FT990.  The exercise was mainly to check out sensitivity and filter
shape and compare between the two.  Not surprisingly, there was little
noticeable difference.  Since I only had one signal generator, IM
performance and de-sense could not be measured.

One thing I DID notice was the HORRIBLE audio hiss present in the FT990
when using narrow filters.  The FT990 is worlds WORSE then the FT1000D,
which I always considered to be pretty bad in the audio department.

Anybody have any comment on this ?  Is there a audio section mod to
quiet some of this garbage ?  Yuck.

PROBE ELECTRONICS 100 Higgins Road, Park Ridge IL 60068 USA
Keith J. Morehouse /  W9RM  / Society of Midwest Contesters
847-696-2828  FAX: 847-698-2045  e-mail: blckhole@ripco.com