[Yaesu] RE:FT1000MP remote project

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] RE:FT1000MP remote project
From: Richard_Harel@ccm.jer.intel.com (Richard Harel)
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 96 17:04:00 PST
     On the subject of  remotely operating the FT-1000MP with an FL-7000
     amp. I thought I would add some comments on the subject for what it's
     worth.

     I remote control my FT-990 + FL7000 using an AEA HamLink unit. I have
     a very good control of the xcvr, however not total. The remote station
     is located about 20 km's from where I live but since it's a telephone
     link, it really doesn't matter how far away I am. The big advantage of
     AEA's HamLink is that all I need is one tel. line at the remote site.
     HamLink uses the '990's CAT port. A #93# command interigates the CAT
     port and the HamLink let's me know what freq. and mode I'm on.
     Another advantage is price. I purchased my HamLink for $230
     - now that AEA is bankrupt, you could probably pick it up for less.
     I added an A-B box to one of the digital outputs on HamLink that
     allows me to switch between a HF xcvr (default) and a VHF xcvr - so I
     can also use local repeaters over the phone line. The HamLink has 7
     digital outputs. D/O 1 goes high when you enter the correct 4 digit
     code upon connecting. (This I use to switch on the AC power strip).
     Another D/O goes high for 100ms (This wired to toggle up memories on
     the VHF xcvr) and the other 5 are standard on-off digital outputs.
     (These can be used  to turn a rotator, to turn on/off a DSP filter
     etc.).
     The disadvantages of HamLink is that you can't actually 'see' the
     radio. The freq. changes are in 10 hz, 100hz, 1khz, or 5khz steps.
     Yes, you can scan from a lower limit to a higher limit if your radio
     supports that kind of scan. Unfortunately, the FT-990 does not. QST
     ran an article early this year about someone who used HamLink with an
     ICOM 781 in the 'generic' radio mode.
     This means that the HamLink is setup not to communicate with the
     radio's CAT port and only controls the PTT and passes audio. The 7
     digital outputs also work in this mode. He then used a 2nd telephone
     lines to control the radio from his PC at home using a remote
     accessing program called "PC-ANYWHERE".
     What was very nice about his set-up was that he has a graphic display
     of the '781 on his PC at home, complete with spectrum display that the
     '781 has built-in. Of course the disadvantage here is that he needs 2
     lines, 2 computers and it's much more expensive. My set-up doesn't
     need any PC and I often call into it with a Cellular telephone and
     work DX - it's very neat !
     Several people here use HamLink units and we can conference call
     several stations together in different parts of the country to give
     space diversity reception.
     Good luck with your project and let me know if you have any questions.
     73,
     Rich
     4X1DA

     E-Mail: