[Yaesu] FT-990 Repair ?

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-990 Repair ?
From: Michael81@aol.com (Michael81@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 04:18:27 -0500 (EST)
>Does anyone have any experience with Yaesu Service turn-around times ?
>I have a FT-990 with a freq drift problem - it's drifting several hundred
>hz. (The display stays the same) - so I prefer to send in just the PC board
>with the reference oscilator - Is that possible ? What does Yaesu normally
>charge for board repair ?
Recently my 767GX started acting up: low output power, goofy autotune,
dial lights flickering. So I called Yaesu, and talked to them; they were
knowledgable and said the turn around was 2 weeks not the normal 4-5
weeks. So I bundled it up and sent it off.

About a week later, I got a card saying that it had been received; and a
few days after that a call explaining the problem (mostly power supply
issues); they said they had gone through it per my instructions, brought
it up to spec, replaed dial lights...all the stuff you want. That will be
$267, thank you.

Fine, it arrived a week later, and there was a little hassle with UPS
about the fact that cash or a money order was required. Yaesu and UPS
each blamed the other but in the end it was Yaesu's fault. I went to the
bank, got the dough, and the next day the radio was ready to play with.

In the meanwhile I had acquired a TS930S (I need a backup anyway) and
used it in a RTTY test, but it is not half the radio the 767 is.
Anxiously, I put it in it's home, carefully connecting all the leads for
the P38, and...and...and...locked on transmit!

Yep, I checked MOX, and VOX, and anything else I could think of, and
nothing. I called some of the other guys that have the radio, and they
could think of nothing. Monday was a holiday (banks and governement and
furniture stores), so on Tuesday I called Yaesu.

They had me go through the same things that I had tried already, and then
got into a very apologetic mode, and said that I would hafta send it
back. Well, what are you gonna do? I packed it up and it is even now
winging its way to California.

So there the story sits, for now at least. You wonder, though, how a
radio could leave a shop locked on transmit. Maybe an honest mistake, I
don't know yet. But it sure is irriatating, especially in contest season.
And on top of everything, it was pretty expensive, I thought.

Yes, they are picking up the postage both ways now.

So in answer to your question: who knows? another guy here WB2QLP had a
very positive experience with Yaesu on the same model. And to top it off:
I finally located some precious 2 meter and 430 mdules for this rig!
Amsat, here I come!

Nope, I'm not pissed, just wary. Mistakes happen. Let's see how they
handle theirs.

Stand by for further develpments. And another contest looms.....

de Mike N4XSE

Michael81@aol.com (Michael Spencer)

To all my email correspondents: I am consolidating addresses,
so please use michael81@aol.com for now.

Sunny Naples On The Gulf, Florida

FAQ on WWW:               http://www.primenet.com/~ke7gh/yaesu.html