[Yaesu] FT-1000MP Tinted glass may not help

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-1000MP Tinted glass may not help
From: n6tv@VNET.IBM.COM (Robert A. Wilson ((415) 335-2265))
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 97 19:09:18 PST
Ref:  Your note of Tue, 18 Mar 1997 06:44:39 -0500 (EST)

I also suggested a tinted glass filter, but now I suspect it will not help.
The problem is that the inside of the glass is too reflective.  Whenever
there is an LED on, some of its light gets reflected back, lighting up
the unlit segments.  (Like the full moon lighting up the earth with
the reflected light of the sun.)

If you turn the unit off, you can no longer see the unlit segments
through the glass.  Therefore, I believe the problem is caused by
reflection of LED light from within, not ambient light getting through.

Perhaps a non-reflective coating, rather than tinted glass, would improve the
situation significantly.  Such coating has to be on the INSIDE, at least.

In the mean time, the "Lo" brightness setting seems to help a lot.

73,
Bob, N6TV

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.primenet.com/~ke7gh/yaesu.html