[Yaesu] FT-920

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-920
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 17:16:00 -0400
Forrest Haney wrote:

> Is there anyone out there that has the NEW FT-920 HF/6M rig?  I would like to
> hear any information one might have, "GOOD or BAD" about this rig.

I looked one over at Dayton yesterday. A short piece of wire was
attached
but all I could pick up was some computer noise. Since the noise was
a cw like sound, I got a chance to play with the dsp a bit but could not
tell much about it.

The Yaesu rep didn't know much about it but he did inform me that the
920 will replace the 990. I think they have taken most of the good
features of the FT-990, FT-1000D and FT-1000MP an combined them into
a 100w, medium priced rig. The going price was about $1800.

I liked the appearance of the display. It was easy to read. Not so with
the IC-756. The 756's display, although large, would wash out at just
a few degrees off dead center. I was turned off by this.

Only time will tell if the rig has the ususal bugs. Keep in mind that
the dsp, although somewhat better than the MP is still in the in the
audio chain and has no effect on the agc. You still need to purchase
several filters etc. TS-870's are going for a tad over $2k  now and
no extra filters are required due to the agc being derived after the
dsp. I did some knob twisting on this one too and would like to try one
at home.

73 Steve N4LQ@iglou.com