[Yaesu] FT-690R2 & Mirage amp

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-690R2 & Mirage amp
From: Earl Needham <needhame@3lefties.com> (Earl Needham)
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 18:15:04 -0700
        I use the FT-690R2 in my car, along with a Mirage A-1015.
        I've had a recurring problem with this combination--  the receive
pre-amp has quit twice.  Both times, it has been the transistor, no problem
with the relays or anything like that.
        I've always used the RF-sensing circuit to key the amp.  Does this
contribute to the preamp quitting?  I'm wondering if perhaps I need ot hard-key
the amp, by putting something between the mic & the transceiver to use a relay
or such and key the amp.
        If the RF-sensing circuit is slow, would putting 10 watts into the
receive amp fry it?  I think it might, but I'd like some other opinions.

7 3
Earl Needham, KD5XB
Clovis, NM
Wood Badge at Philmont!  http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/7582/