[Yaesu] FT1000MP, rx probl.

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT1000MP, rx probl.
From: k3mm@erols.com (Tyler Stewart)
Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 16:30:46 +0100
Thierry DUPONT wrote:

> Tnx fer reading this one...
>
> I've a probleme with my FT1000MP ser nber 6E09.....
>
> When i want to listen below 1.500 Mhz, i turn the vfo A down,
> i heard a click (realy), the light "GEN"  is brighting......
> And....its like the receiver was dead....without antenna connected....
> I do the same manipulation with a antenna on connector "B"...same
> story..
> No, i do the same with a RX antenna and selected, off course....and
> the receiver is alive, i can losten on the station between 30 Khz and
> 1500 Khz....So, i've asked to 2 friends to do the same experience, and
> they 're received all until 30 khz with a antenna on A,B or rx....
> So, i've sended my rig to the Europe Yaesu after sale warranty service,
> the rig is coming back...and...it 's the same..after a phone call, the
> technical service sayed me that he've tryed with a new ft1000mp just out
> the box..its the same..He explained me that to receiver below 1500 Khz,
> its possible only via RX antenna connector....and he sayed also :
> "thats writed in the technical book"..
> So, this week end, i've tried myself with a ft1000mp serial 6H11...;
> A single antenna on connector A, turning the vfo down until 1200 Khz..
> and it was ok, i can listen to the broadcast station..
>
> So, i wonder me if there are more than one version of RX for this
> rig....
> Or what's wrong with my FT1000MP...( I think its this second solution
> who is ok)
>
> Any help is wellcome, i dont want to send again my rig to receive it in
> the same state.....
>
> Best regards, Thierry "Ted" on4th@ping.be
>
> --
> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.qsl.net/k7on/yaesu.html
> Submissions:              yaesu@contesting.com
> Administrative requests:  yaesu-REQUEST@contesting.com
> Problems:                 owner-yaesu@contesting.com

Hi, Ted.

It should RX below 1500 khz.  Without digging out my technical manual,
my guess is that there is something
wrong with the high pass filter that kicks in below 1500 kc.  A good
test of this is if you plug an antenna into the RX ANT port and it hears
OK there, then it has to be a problem with that filter board.  The
filter
board is bypassed when you use the RX ANT port.  The board is very easy
to find.  Take off the top cover
and it's located just behind the ALC board, which is the board that has
all the pots you see when you
open the top hatch cover.

I had a severe loss of sensitivity on 80 meters, which was cause by some
turns shorting out on the first coil
on the input to that particular highpass filter.  If you have a way to
measure that first coil's inductance for the section that affects below
1500 kc, it's a good bet that it is bad.  Otherwise it might be a bad
relay contact or something.  Anyway, your problem should be an easy one
to figure out and fix.

73, Tyler K3MM