[Yaesu] FT-890. Any comments?

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-890. Any comments?
From: lmenzel@millcomm.com (Larry Menzel)
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 1997 14:15:14 -0600
Ciao, Luciano,

I have had both the FT 890 and the FT900.  I have had very good luck with
both units.  I used them both in a mobile situation, and they seem to work
quite well when hooked to my base antennas as well.

I don't recall either of them ever "running" away from frequency.  I
beleive they were stable and "well behaved".  My current FT900 works
extremely well, with a fast antenna tuner and good audio reports from my car.

I have only one complaint.  The CW keyer.  At higher speeds, 18+wpm, there
is a tendency to miss a character from time to time.  I noticed it
especially on the letter "a" when sent in the middle of some words.  It
would simply not send the "dah" after the dit.  I also experienced other
anomolies with the keyer.

I also use and FT1000D and the same characteristics exibit themselves with
that radio as well.  I don't understand it and I have asked other Yaesu
users who work CW and they have experienced it as well.  At lower cw
speeds, it does not seem to be as much of a problem.  I have since gone
back to my external keyer and have no proablem whatsoever with the radio on
CW.

I think that the positives far outweigh the negatives on the radio, and I'm
sure you wil enjoy its many features.

Good luck and 73.

Larry N0XB
Northfield, MN