[Yaesu] Re: FT-50 antenna, battery discharge

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Re: FT-50 antenna, battery discharge
From: mmorrow@companet.net (Mike Morrow)
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 18:42:05 -0800
Ken wrote:

"I am looking for a better antenna for my Yaesu VX1R and my FT-50R. Does
anybody have any suggestions? I had the Diamond SRH519 and I wasn't real
happy with the preformance."

I have found the Comet SMA-3 to be an excellent antenna for the FT-50.
I have three FT-50s, and have an SMA-3 for each of them. It's a little
longer than the stock antenna, but it greatly enhances out-of-ham-band
sensitivity.  I was disapponted in the unit's performance until I went
to the SMA-3.  It's a bit pricey at $30, but worth it!

Regarding battery discharge while the unit is OFF, one of my three
FT-50s has this problem.  I've not measured the discharge, but earlier
on this list someone posted info that said that some FT-50s will pull up
to 10 mA when OFF.  Supposedly Yaesu has a fix that involves changing
some surface mount parts...I think I'll send my bad unit in for this.

Also, Yaesu has a shorter POWER button they can install if you have had
problems with inadvertently turning your unit on.

Some units have trouble being turned on without repeated pushes of the
POWER button.  Two of my units have this problem.  I don't know if Yaesu
has a fix for that or not.

Time to write to the service department, I guess.

                73....Mike / KK5F