[Yaesu] VX-1R Tone Encode problem

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] VX-1R Tone Encode problem
From: David.Bourque@analog.com (David.Bourque@analog.com)
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 98 14:42:40 EST
Hi Group,
        I'm having some trouble with my new VX-1R and as such, I'm seeking
opinions to see if I'm an isolated case of if others are having the problem.

        Here is the situation.  While operating into a repeater with PL (CTCSS
if
you like that better) access I have gotten a few reports that I drop out mid
sentence and then come back later within the same transmission.  Since I own
this repeater I found it very interesting that I was having this problem.  You
see, the repeater is at my house and I'm dropping out while in the house.  Now,
the repeater antenna is about 130 feet directly above but I've never had this
problem before.  My investigation over the holiday weekend indicates that the
Carrier is solid into the machine but the PL decoder (ComSpec TS-32P) stops
decoding.  Anyone else experience a similar problem with PL transmission from
the VX-1R?  Since my repeater controller has front panel LED's I can sit
directly in front of it and watch the LED indicate COR and the PL indicator
flicker on and off.  My next step is to put a scope on the recovered audio and
take a look to see if it is really dropping off.  I suspect it is because no
other user and my other handheld (FT-470) are not having a problem.
Suggestions please?

        Here are the other related specifics.
Band: UHF HAM
Freq: 441.550 + transmit offset
Tone: Encode & Squelch
Tone Freq: 127.3
Power setting: Low

73 & thanks, WB1FLD
David W. Bourque
Analog Devices, Inc.            Email: david.bourque@analog.com
831 Woburn Street                       Voice: 781-937-1705
Wilmington, MA 01887            Fax: 781-937-1702