[Yaesu] FT-920, a few comments...

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-920, a few comments...
From: f5pgp@mail1.asi.fr (Christophe Suarez)
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 01:55:25 +0000
Hello everybody,

Here's my little story with the FT-920. I had a FT-990 and bought the
FT-920 a week ago.

1/ I didn't like the audio tonality in reception. I found the MENU U-58 and
U-61
very useful, I'm now using the -0.200 position for both modes and like the
audio reception.

2/ The S-meter was really pessimist. All signals were at least 20 db down
usual received
on the FT-990. I first tried to switch the preamp 2 on the 20 and 15 M
band. But I don't
think it's the best solution. Finally, I decided to open the TRX. On the
main board,
I found 2 variable resistors :
SM (Signal Meter)
SM Zero
By turning the SM VR properly, I improved the S-Meter level. I adjusted
also the SM Zero.

3/ The key down power was near 85 watts and when transmitting, using the
DSP position
N°3 or N°4 (best compromise here with the MD-100), the needle was moving
around 30 watts
only. I didn't get the full power from the TL-922 in SSB (needle moving
around 200 watts
only !!). A good way to resolve this problem is to adjust VR1016 on the
main board to
get the max. power, about 110 watts. Now, I tune the amp with 80 watts but
I turn the
RF POWER Pot. full clockwise (max) when I transmit in SSB. All is ok and
the audio quality
seems to be excellent.

4/ My comments about this transceiver. My Previous ones are FT-707, IC-740,
IC-725,
TR7, FT-990.
In the FT-920 I like :
1/ The audio reception is convenient to hear, even several hours...
2/ The DSP is adjustable from nothing to maximum (Low cut/High cut, and
also Noise Reduction) no fixed positions. It is not agressive like in some
other new RIGS.
3/ The cw reception, specially when using the DSP, is very clear.
4/ The transmitter audio quality is really fantastic.
5/ The DVS-2 is included
6/ The FIF Cat is included
7/ Many adjustements can be made with the menu.
8/ 2 antennas can be connected and are automatically switched. There's also
a switch
for a RX antenna. The RX ant is disconnected with a relay during the
transmission.

I do not like :
1/ The 500 Hz cw filter is not very efficient.
2/ This the first RIG I have to put the hands inside, and modify factory
adjustements !
(S meter, RF Power...)

I hope this helps

73 de Chris