[Yaesu] FT-920, a few comments...

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-920, a few comments...
From: w8eh@infinet.com (Ernie Howard)
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 17:43:47 -0500
I too, just purchased the FT-920, 3 weeks ago.  I like the rig overall
and am I happy with the purchase.  I had a Drake TR-7 and Yaesu FT-890
before (still have them).  It is an improvement over the 890 in
a lot of ways.  The DSP, antenna ports, AFSK ability, voice recorder
and dual VFO.  The TR-7 would have been still good if it wasn't
still analog tuning and manual bandswitching.

The things I wish Yaesu would change:

1. The tuner WILL NOT save settings over 3:1 - It should save
settings no matter how hi the SWR, if it can get it tuned.  This
is a most serious defect.  They intended it that way, I just can't
figure why.  The FT-890 will save every setting, even HIGH SWR.
I have emailed Yaesu and their response is "that's the way it
should be". Guess they don't operate in the real world, with
non resonant antennas, long wires and such.  If they don't come
up with a 'fix' soon, I am going to open it up and figure out
a way around it.

2. The IF feed though on the opposite sidebands could be less. If
there is a strong signal on opposite sideband, you MAY hear it
faintly.  Not a real problem, just an annoyance. This seems to
be typical of radios now days.  If they built the IF sections
shielded like Drake did the TR-7, this wouldn't happen.

3. The crystal filter on SSB needs to be better shaped with steeper
skirts.  I think INRAD will have a good substitute soon. I got the
INRAD CW 400 hz filter and it's a dream. http://www.qth.com/INRAD/
Works good for both CW and AFSK modes. It's not broad like the
yaesu option.

4. The internal speaker is not high quality. Sweeping across the
audio spectrum with a tone shows a lot of distortion. External
speaker solves this. Maybe Yaesu thinks everyone uses external
speakers so they won't put much into it.

73 Ernie W8EH

Christophe Suarez wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> Here's my little story with the FT-920. I had a FT-990 and bought the
> FT-920 a week ago.
>
> 1/ I didn't like the audio tonality in reception. I found the MENU U-58 and
> U-61
> very useful, I'm now using the -0.200 position for both modes and like the
> audio reception.
>
> 2/ The S-meter was really pessimist. All signals were at least 20 db down
> usual received
> on the FT-990. I first tried to switch the preamp 2 on the 20 and 15 M
> band. But I don't
> think it's the best solution. Finally, I decided to open the TRX. On the
> main board,
> I found 2 variable resistors :
> SM (Signal Meter)
> SM Zero
> By turning the SM VR properly, I improved the S-Meter level. I adjusted
> also the SM Zero.
>
> 3/ The key down power was near 85 watts and when transmitting, using the
> DSP position
> N°3 or N°4 (best compromise here with the MD-100), the needle was moving
> around 30 watts
> only. I didn't get the full power from the TL-922 in SSB (needle moving
> around 200 watts
> only !!). A good way to resolve this problem is to adjust VR1016 on the
> main board to
> get the max. power, about 110 watts. Now, I tune the amp with 80 watts but
> I turn the
> RF POWER Pot. full clockwise (max) when I transmit in SSB. All is ok and
> the audio quality
> seems to be excellent.
>
> 4/ My comments about this transceiver. My Previous ones are FT-707, IC-740,
> IC-725,
> TR7, FT-990.
> In the FT-920 I like :
> 1/ The audio reception is convenient to hear, even several hours...
> 2/ The DSP is adjustable from nothing to maximum (Low cut/High cut, and
> also Noise Reduction) no fixed positions. It is not agressive like in some
> other new RIGS.
> 3/ The cw reception, specially when using the DSP, is very clear.
> 4/ The transmitter audio quality is really fantastic.
> 5/ The DVS-2 is included
> 6/ The FIF Cat is included
> 7/ Many adjustements can be made with the menu.
> 8/ 2 antennas can be connected and are automatically switched. There's also
> a switch
> for a RX antenna. The RX ant is disconnected with a relay during the
> transmission.
>
> I do not like :
> 1/ The 500 Hz cw filter is not very efficient.
> 2/ This the first RIG I have to put the hands inside, and modify factory
> adjustements !
> (S meter, RF Power...)
>
> I hope this helps
>
> 73 de Chris

> 73 de Chris F5PGP@F8KLY.FRHA.FRA.EU
> mailto:f5pgp@babel.asi.fr
> [...]

Ernie Howard, Jr    W8EH    Middletown, Ohio
Internet E-mail: w8eh@infinet.com
Web Page: http://www.infinet.com/~w8eh
Packet Radio: w8eh@w8jeu.#day.oh.usa.noam
Morse Code:   . _ _    _ _ _ . .    .    . . . .