[Yaesu] Yaesu FT-920 opinion please

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Yaesu FT-920 opinion please
From: lane@glerl.noaa.gov (John Lane)
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 20:20:14 -0400

>The question is what significant benefits will I notice between my
>current station and a new FT-920?  And, to be fair, what will I miss if
>the 902DM goes away?

I own both
You'll gain:  6 Meters
                  General Coverage Receiver
                  Memory CW keyer
                  DVK
                  Memories
                  Better receive performance
You'll loose:
                 Calibrator signal
                 Audio output level
                 Internal AC supply
                 Simple operation with transverters
                 A really cool nostalgic radio, built like a tank

>Let's also say, for the sake of argument, that my current station is
>worth somewhat less than half that of a new FT-920.  Is the FT-920 more
>than twice the radio?

Only you can decide that.  Unless your really strapped for cash I'd keep the
902.  Last year at Dayton there were quite a few of them for sale and they
weren't really fetching what I thought they should be worth.

>Perhaps I should state that 6-meter operation is not of interest (unless
>it should be...?)

One of the primary reasons for getting a 920 is the 6 meter capability. I
think there are other equally capable radios available for less money w/o 6
meters.     --   W8KX